Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Simple pine shelf (Part 2)

Simple pine shelf
Step 7
I held the shelf up to the wall and marked the position.. I didn’t want it too near the top shelf as I had a tall vase I wanted to show off.

Step 8
As I mentioned earlier, the rear of the shelf needs to be attached to the wall. This is where the baton comes in. I drilled two holes in the baton and held it in position on the wall. I marked with a sharp point their positions on the wall and drilled and Rawlplugged the holes.

Step 9
I  screwed the baton to the wall and tacked the shelf to it.

Step 10
I held the rope in position and screwed the first eyelet into the shelf above. I screwed the rest of the eyelest in and threaded the rope through the second eyelet and down through the self. Then I passed the rope back  though the shelf, through the next two eyelets and finally back down through the shelf.

Step 11
If you want to make a suspended shelf, the design is infinitely adaptable. For instance, you could screw the eyelets straight into the wall, and add any number of extra shelves. Simply repeat the process and thread the rope through each shelf, knotting it and passing the rope down to the next one.

Product used …
  • Old plank of fence board (any wood will do)
  • 4 x heavy duty eyelet screws
  • Medium sand paper
  • Wooden block for sanding
  • Wire wool (to apply wax)
  • Colron wax (dark oak)
  • 5 metres ¼ inch thick rope
  • 3/8 inc wood drill bit
  • 1 ¼ inch masonry drill bit
  • Rawlplugs and screws

0 comments:

Post a Comment